Friday, September 08, 2006

cbs2chicago.com - Last Day Comes For Marshall Field's

Not being a life long Chicagoan, I seem to lack the connection with Fields. However my wife's mother and grandmother, and aunt are all cutting up their new Macy's cards and refusing to shop there. They know it's basically the same store it was last week, same owner as last week, same stuff, etc. However they won't go into a store that WAS Field's.

With sentiment, I look back at the iconic department stores of my youth, Hecht's and Woodward and Lothrop (Woodies) and Raleighs and Garfinkel's before that. Maybe it's apocryful, but suppossedly my mother-in-laws Field's card was the first that said Mrs. X on it and finally made her feel like she had really gotten married.

I personally enjoyed shopping at the new State Street Field's. It's a beautiful store. I've gotten a lot fo gifts there and I understand when people complain about the service, but there is a certain class to the place. Field's is dead, Long live Macy's?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home