Monday, October 01, 2007

Nokia Buys Software Maker for $8.1 Billion - New York Times

I'm not sure I get this purchase. Am I missing something? Nokia makes hardware handsets. Navteq makes software, mainly maps for web sites (like Google Maps) and GPS receivers. Navteq's other customers (and Nokia's competitors) will now have a good reason to find another vendor. Why would Garmin buy stuff from Nokia? This is just like Tele Atlas's purchase by TomTom.

What does Nokia get out of this? A software company that does maps. Is this integrated into phones already? I think if you have a certain smart phone using the Web browser you can pretty much already do the same thing already. Let's say you integrate in record time and get a product out ASAP. How long is that going to take? Is Apple, Samsung, Motorola going to sit on the sidelines and wait for you to come out with a GPS? I don't quite get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home